Discover how gamescom 2012 got off to a rocking start with a sensational line-up of games for PS3 and PS Vita.
If you think you've seen everything PlayStation has to offer it's time to think again - Sony Computer Entertainment Europe kicked off gamescom 2012 in Cologne, Germany, with a stunning media briefing which left the audience gasping for breath.
Why PlayStation Vita will be the must-have system for the holiday season:
- PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale unleashed four new characters: Ratchet, Spike, Sackboy and Dante. President and chief executive officer of SCEE Jim Ryan also announced that the game will feature Cross-Buy - so if you purchase the title on PS3, you get the other version at no extra cost. Also available via Cross-Buy will be Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time and Ratchet & Clank: QForce. "Cross-Buy really highlights the benefits of the relationship between PS3 and PS Vita," Jim added. "It's no longer just about how you play, but when you play."
- Killzone: Mercenary showed how the world-beating shooter series is shaping up on PS Vita, with brutal combat and stunning visuals.
- Tearaway drew excited applause as this colourful and refreshingly different take on action adventure gaming was unveiled by the creators of LittleBigPlanet. Throwing you into a 3D world made of paper, Tearaway has you interacting with its craft-style world where you can pop holes in the ground using the rear touch pad, shake enemies off the screen by tilting the PS Vita system and blow baddies away by using the system's microphone.
- LittleBigPlanet PlayStation Vita showed off the capabilities of the handheld system, with its distinctive ways of combining the touchscreen, rear touch pad and camera with gameplay for incredible new experiences.
Why you're getting more with PlayStation:
- You'll get even more value from PlayStation Plus, as the blockbusting Red Dead Redemption will be available on the popular service, along with five completely new titles. Your game saves are even more secure now too, with Online Storage increased to 1GB. And PS Vita owners will have access to PlayStation Plus in late 2012.
Why PS3 will be more essential than ever:
- Expect a fantastic holiday season line-up on PS3 with games such as Assassin's Creed III and FIFA 13. The latter features PlayStation Move motion controller features for even greater passing control and player movement. Tilt the motion controller to outwit the goalkeeper with extra swerve on the ball.
- The magical Wonderbook: Book of Spells and the noir dipped Wonderbook: Diggs Nightcrawler was joined by the exciting announcement that the BBC's Walking with Dinosaurs will also get the Wonderbook treatment. You'll have the chance to go on a quest of discovery and interactive learning in ways never done before. And if that's not enough, Disney characters will also be making their Wonderbook appearance in the future.
Why you'll be blown away by three totally new and innovate PS3 titles:
- Until Dawn puts you into a teen horror story full of blood and spine-chilling scares. Use PS Move to shine a torch and light your way, fire a gun or even get closer to other characters by making subtle movements.
- Rain from Japan Studio offers a haunting world where a lone invisible boy makes his way through drizzle soaked streets.
- Puppeteer is unlike anything you've seen before, taking place in a magical theatre of the strange and fantastic. Creepy and refreshingly unique, Puppeteer gathered a massively positive reaction from the audience.
This is just scratching the surface of what's at gamescom 2012 - and the games you'll be enjoying in the months to come. "We envision a world where stories come to life in your living room and you become entranced with people's imagination," Jim finished. Make sure you experience it all as more news comes in from gamescom 2012, here on playstation.co.nz.